Leather can be used for many projects from traditional leathercraft to jewelry. With the opportunity for endless projects, there are a variety of techniques to working with leather.
How to Cut Leather
Leather is a versatile material and can be cut in many different ways. Often leather is cut using hand held tools. Common hand held tools are rotary cutters, leather scissors, craft knives or universal cutters.
Types of Leather
The Realeather brand offers a variety of sizes and types of leather trim pieces to fit your project needs. Each type has different strengths, project applications and are offered in different colors, weights/thicknesses and patterns.
- Triumph This is a sturdy cowhide, oil tanned, pre-finished and ready for use. Great for projects requiring strong and flexible material.
- Premium A soft, pre-finished cowhide leather, the premium trim leather is great for projects requiring a lighter, more pliable leather.
- Acanthus These triumph leather pieces come pre-embossed with the Acanthus Leaf stamped design. It offers a unique replacement to any project calling for a solid leather without having to spend hours hand tooling.
- Deertan This is soft, smooth, supple, full grain cowhide leather piece. It is a lightweight trim piece, perfect for projects requiring flexibility.
- Suede Cut from soft, sueded leather, these trim pieces are perfect for pouches, bags, patches or jewelry.
- Tooling Natural veg-tanned cowhide is a most versatile leather. It can be cut, tooled, stamped, molded, embossed, colored with dyes or left natural for small projects. It is a firm leather that softens somewhat with use.
Types of Projects
Leather trim pieces within the Realeather® line are offered in two popular sizes, 9-3/8” x 3-1/2” and 8.5” x 11”. The 9-3/8” x 3-1/2” is perfect for wallet backs or smaller projects, while the 8.5” x 11” is great for medium size projects.
For creating accessories, décor items or cutting multiple shapes or sizes, the 8.5” x 11” trim piece is great. Common projects for the 8.5" x 11" include wallets, eyeglass cases, card holders, coffee cup collars, hand molded items and letter pouches.
The 9-3/8”x3-1/2” can be used to make a variety of projects as well. Popular uses include leather feather earrings, bracelets, fringe, key chains, napkin rings, change purses and leather hair accessories.
Be sure to share your finished project with us on social media. We love seeing your creative ideas using Realeather® products!